BUILDINGS
AFTER 1838

The tithe map, prepared in 1838, identifies all of the properties in the area on that particular date.  After the enclosure of the surrounding commons in the years between 1850 and 1860 many acres of land passed into private hands and became available for development.

The church was consecrated in 1868 and the Vicarage was built in 1870.  The school arrived in 1871.

When the artist, James Clarke Hook, bought one of the old farms, Bulls or Bowles Farm, in 1866, he instituted the development of a large area of land around the junction of the A287 and Jumps Road.  He built his own house, Silverbeck, and Wayside Cottages, Sandbrow and Beefolds (now Threeways) and Gorse Acres (now called Furze Hills).  These houses are very similar in style.  After a row with the vicar he built the chapel at Star Hill.  He demolished several old cottages and closed down the pottery owned by Nathaniel Langridge.

Many of the large mansion houses in Churt were built after enclosure on the former common land to the west of the village.  They are very different in style to the houses which Hook built.  Barford Court, Chinton Hanger, The Chase and Moreton House are all late Victorian or Edwardian.

The other area of major development was on the land on the Lower Common which had been sold to Edward Hannam to defray the costs of enclosure.  It can be seen on a map that this area was ‘planned’ for development.  The plots are smaller than in the older part of the village and the roads are straight, bisecting at right angles.

Rushmoor map

Some houses such as Lowicks, Bookhams and Jumps House stand on their own large plots scattered throughout the village.

The recreation ground in Churt was given as a memorial to World War 1.  The field on which it still stands was purchased from a farmer and plots around the field were designated for housing and house building, initially for returned soldiers.  The shops in the village centre were built during the 1920s.  The first council houses in Churt were built in the late 1920s and early 1930s in Hale House Lane (Crossways Close), Green Lane (originally imaginatively called Council Cottages, now known as Parkhurst Cottages), and, slightly later, Green Lane Cottages and Greenhanger.  There were more council house built in Sandy Lane, Rushmoor.  These were needed to house the rural poor displaced from their dwellings when these were sold to middle class incomers.  In the 60s and 70s housing for the elderly was built by Waverley Borough Council at Redhearn Fields and Parkhurst Fields.

Over the years detached houses were built on reasonably large plots along the three east/west lanes Jumps Road, Hale House Lane and Green Lane, but there were no more larger building projects until the late 1960s when Star Hill Drive was built, followed in the 70s by Moreton Close and Parkhurst Fields.  The Meadows arrived in the 1980s.  There has been very little new house building since then (2022).

This page is still under construction.