OTHER PUBS

Devil’s Jumps Inn

Joseph Marshall, appears as public house keeper and butcher in the 1871 census but the name of his establishment is not given.  It was almost certainly the Devil’s Jumps Inn which appears on the 1872 Ordnance Survey Map which was based on a survey of 1871.  The house on that site is now called The Cedars.  The Devil’s Jumps Inn, newly-built, had replaced an earlier beer house called the Black Horse.  In 1881 Newman Dopson was described as publican and grocer, address The Jumps.

The Devil’s Jumps Inn was still in business in 1891 when the publican was given as Caroline Pawney, but had become a private house by 1901.

The Jumps Club, a benefit society, originally met at the Devil’s Jumps Inn.  Jumps Club Day was a long-established annual event.  Stalls sold soft drinks, gingerbread men and bull’s eyes.  These pictures, taken at the Pride of the Valley, show that it was well-attended and it seems to have been a stock market as well.  It seems to have been a jolly occasion which was reported in the press.

Pride of the Valley Jumps Club Day
Pride of the Valley Jumps Club Day

“The anniversary of The Jumps club, which was a benefits club, was celebrated at the (Devil’s) Jumps Inn in 1891.  It was quite a day!  It started with a service at the parish church and continued with a dinner in a marquee adjoining the inn.  The business of the club, enlivened by singing, was conducted successfully and subsequently the members, accompanied by the Haslemere band, paraded and visited the principal inhabitants in the neighbourhood. Outdoor sports were indulged in by large company.  Read the report in the Surrey Advertiser of 20 June 1891 here.

By 1895 the celebrations had moved to the Pride of the Valley Inn.  The day proceeded in much the same way as in previous years and was reported to be very enjoyable, but the financial situation was giving cause for concern.  In the course of the speeches it was pointed out “that the club was doing a very good work, as its members consisted chiefly of old men who could not get admission to the flourishing clubs of the present day by reason of their age.  The past year had been a hard one, as the sick pay for illness, consequent on the severity of the winter, had reached the total of £50.  It was urged that more honorary members were needed, as, if the club were allowed to lapse, a large number of old men, who had paid into it for years, would have no provision and in many cases would have to apply to the parish in times of sickness.  We are glad to learn that a few more gentlemen have promised their assistance.”

Morning Star

In the 1871 census returns Charles Mathews was described as a farmer and beer house keeper living at the Morning Star a beer house which gave its name to Star Hill.  The house, which has been rebuilt, was later called Beefolds and is now known as Threeways.