pride of the valley

 

The Pride of the Valley was built by George Marden in 1869 at the junction of the two new roads which we now call Jumps Road and Tilford Road.  These roads didn’t really exist until the commons were enclosed and became privately owned in the years 1850 to 1860.  The census returns name Andrew Marchant as the publican of the Pride of the Valley, he was described as Public House and Coachman.  From 1881 till 1911 the publican was Joseph Marshall.  He also sold pig meat and sometimes beef.

The 1910 valuation report reveals that the Pride of the Valley was owned by Hon H Cubitt and that the landlord was Jos. Marshall a tenant of Farnham United Breweries.

The entry in the 1910 valuation books reads ‘The Brick stone & tiled fully licenced House known as ‘The Pride of the Valley’, occupying a good position at the junction of several roads & close to the Devils Jumps.  Acc:- Bar, Tap Room, Parlour, Kitchen larder & wash house 3 Bedrooms &large Tea Room upstairs.  Stabling for 4 horses Coach house etc.  Small garden’.

The stables were later converted into a Dining room and the stable yard provided room for further additions to the hotel.  Eventually the stables housed 6 horses, two of which were heavy and did hire cart work, the others were carriage horses.

The establishment was able to hire out two Victorias and a Landau.

The Pride of the Valley became the meeting place of the Jumps Club which originally met at the Devil’s Jumps Inn until this closed down.   Read the report in the Surrey Advertiser of 22nd June 1895 here.

As we know the Pride of the Valley continues in business today as Bel and the Dragon

The Pride of the Valley made the international news in 1951 when this story appeared in The Peterborough Examiner a newspaper in Ontario.