Public houses in Churt

 

Four public houses were mentioned in the 1871 census.  These were the Crossways, the Pride of the Valley, the Devil’s Jumps Inn and the Morning Star.

Churt still has two public houses.   The oldest is the Crossways Inn in the centre of the village.  The Tithe map shows that there was already a building on the pub site in 1838.  It was owned by John Baker and described as ‘cottage and garden’.  The Crossways still stands on that site and has remained in business ever since.

The Crossways Inn in Churt
Pride of the Valley in Churt

The Pride of the Valley (now known as Bel and the Dragon) stands at the east end of the village.  Following the enclosure of the commons two new roads came into existence.  These are now called Jumps Road and Tilford Road.  The Pride of the Valley was built by George Marden in 1869 at the junction of these two roads.  The landlord was Joseph Marshall.  Although the name sounds welsh, and contrary to what some people think, the Pride was built long before Lloyd George arrived in Churt.

The new roads and the new beer house took business from an older pub in Jumps Road (then just a track) called the Devil’s Jumps Inn.  This is now a private house called ‘The Cedars’.

In 1871 Charles Matthews was described as a farmer and beer house keeper living at the Morning Star a beer house which gave its name to Star Hill.  The house, which has been rebuilt, was later called Beefolds and is now known as Threeways.