St John’s school

As a result of the 1870 Education Act St John’s School was opened in October 1871.

The Surrey Advertiser of 21 October 1871 carried a very long report about the opening of the school at Churt.  There was a harvest festival service at the church in the morning, luncheon at the vicarage for the dignitaries attending the opening, and another service in the evening.  There were a lot of speeches, and a lot of toasting.  The next day, about sixty of the mothers, and those who had taken money boxes to collect for the school building fund, were entertained at tea in the new school room. 

The school was designed by an architect, Mr Woodthorpe, and built by Mr Birch.  It was 43 feet long by 18 feet wide and was built of local stone, with brick and Bath stone dressings, having an open roof stained and varnished.  The cost of the erection – about £500 – was chiefly defrayed by voluntary contributions.  Read the full report here.

A headmaster, Mr Phillips, was appointed and 48 pupils attended on the first day.  St John’s has survived various reorganisation attempts and continues today as a primary school catering for pupils aged rising 5 to 7.

For more information go to the St John’s school website: St John’s School