the devil’s jumps inn

 

Joseph Marshall, also appears as public house keeper and butcher in the 1871 census but the name of his establishment was not given. It was almost certainly the Devil’s Jumps Inn which appears on the 1872 Ordnance Survey Map which was based on a survey of 1871. The house on that site is now called The Cedars. The Devil’s Jumps Inn, newly-built, had replaced an earlier beer house called the Black Horse. In 1881 Newman Dopson was described as publican and grocer, address The Jumps.

The Devil’s Jumps Inn was still in business in 1891 when the publican was given as Caroline Pawney, but had become a private house by 1901.